Tuesday 18 February 2014

“Be kind whenever possible.  It is always possible.”
From our hearts to yours - "Love NOT hate!"  (Martin Luther King Jr.)
Dear Families,
I hope you had an enjoyable Family Weekend!  Wasn’t it amazing to have that ‘extra’ day off to spend quality time with all your loved ones?  I do my best to appreciate and value my time off with those that I care deeply about.  Here are some of the activities that I got up to - I went out for dinner at my favourite restaurant in Collingwood on Friday (enjoyed yummy curry mussels), drank delicious lattes, went snowboarding at Blue Mountain (fell numerous times as it was my first time in a decade), relaxed by the warm fireplace at home, watched the Olympics (snowboarding, women’s hockey), and cheered my heart out for Canada!!!  Speaking of which, on Fri. our class watched the Olympics with popcorn at the end of the day, I know the students enjoyed this experience very much as did I.  Have they mentioned that I’m a sports fanatic?!  Here’s to another great week … short, BUT, oh so sweet!  Is it already Wednesday?

Valentine’s Dance-A-Thon:
This past Friday, we celebrated Valentine’s Day.  Thank you families who took time, energy, and love to purchase cards and provide treats for all of us to enjoy!  I was deeply touched by all the treasures I received, it meant a lot to me!  In class, we discussed the meaning of this day, and we all agreed that we must celebrate LOVE all year around,  it is what makes the world brighter and beautiful.  I am a fortunate educator, to be surrounded with such loving students who care and are kind to one another.  It was heart-warming to watch your child give and receive unconditionally. 

In the middle block (11:45-1:05pm), we participated in the Dance-A-Thon in our school gym.  Parents, who provided pledges, thank you!  I would also like to extend my sincere gratitude to our school’s Parent Council who put in countless hours to make this event happen.  I was in awe of the decorations, music, treats, games, prizes!!!  The children thoroughly enjoyed this experience J  We have a remarkable school. 
Please take a moment to enjoy some of the pictures from our love-filled Friday:

Trista, Alexander, Steven, and Sammi - enjoying their Valentines

Mikaila & Wyatt - also loving their treats!

These faces, precious!  Eryn, Bradley, Paige, Jax expressing their gratitude.

Carrie-ann & Josie - joyous smiles girls!

Getting into the groovin' spirit!


Wyatt - enjoying and appreciating the Parent Council decorations!

Just Dance!
Jax’s Recount – Cuba Trip
Jax thoughtfully sharing his Recount to his peers :)

Jax, thank you for taking the time, energy, and effort in sharing your Cuba experience!  Your Bristol board recount was outstanding!  We all enjoyed seeing the pictures of YOU and your family.  I thought the hats that Luke and you wore really suited you both.  You have inspired your peers through this sharing.  I enjoyed the ‘question & answer’ period at the end of your presentation.  You provided some insightful information of Cuba – the food, animals, climate, and shops.  Thank you again Jax, I know you’ll cherish this memory for a lifetime J


Making heart-felt memories!

Nordic Highlands:
This Wednesday, we will be traveling to Duntroon for our second Cross-Country & Snow Shoeing adventure!  I can’t wait to see my students put in their personal best at these two challenging sports.  I was so proud of their efforts from the last time, I know they’ll use their experience to improve upon their growing skills.  I will ensure that I take more pictures to share with you all in my next blog update!  Stay tuned please …

Olympic Day:
This Thursday, our school will be holding an Olympic day!  Each student has been assigned to a country and will be participating in different Olympic inspired events.  Please ask your child about this.  It will be an amazing opportunity to honour and share the Olympic joy that many are seeing and feeling at this time J  Again, I will do my best to take pictures of this event for you all to enjoy in my next update. 

Spirit Assembly:
On Friday at 2:45pm, we will be having our 3rd Spirit Assembly lead by our Spirit Committee (students in Gr. 7-8).  The theme is Canada!  Please have your child dress in red/white and / or wear attire that may have ‘Canada’ on it.  Usually for these assemblies, students wear their ‘house colour,’ but for this one, gooooooo Canada!!!  Parents are most welcome to attend and are encouraged to do so if their schedules permit.  It has been great seeing some of the families join us!  After all, we are a school family that is building upon our already SPIRITED SCHOOL!!!


WE CHERISH YOU!  THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU DO FAMILIES!

“Perseverance – to try and try again!” 
Thank you John Parkes for inspiring my class with this most valuable trait!  It has touched my students as they step outside their comfort zone at Nordic Highlands and never giving up!!!
Namaste,
Miss Gill
   

No comments:

Post a Comment