Sunday 1 December 2013

Happy December Everyone!

“The Beauty that will save the world is LOVE!”
Dear Families,
WOW!  Time sure flies by when you’re having the best year ever!  It’s already December, can you believe it?!  I feel like our school year just began and here we are 20 days until the holidays!  I hope you’ve had a lovely weekend with your family and are geared up for another wonderful work week!  I spent my weekend relaxing at home catching up on some sleep and spending quality time with friends on Sunday sipping delicious lattes and eating yummy sushi watching the Sens game.  I now feel re-charged, re-energized and re-juvenated for our upcoming learning week, hope you are too!    

Commit to Character:
On Monday we are having a recognition assembly at 9:15am celebrating November’s Character Trait of ‘Courage – We do the right thing, even when it’s difficult.  Congratulations to our recipients whom I will be sure to take a pic of and post on our blog next week!  I am so proud of my students for consistently striving to be the best they can BE in and out of the classroom. 

“There is within each one of us a potential for goodness beyond our imagining for giving which seeks no reward; for listening without judgement; for loving unconditionally.”

December's Character Trait is EMPATHY “We think about the feelings of others!”

Demonstrating Empathy - "From one 'Roo' to another ... we can learn from nature"
Makayla Peca:
I would like to take this opportunity to recognize one of my past students whom I taught last year in Grade 6, her name is Makayla (Izzy’s older sister).  Each week, Makayla assists me in my classroom to organize my students' weekly bell work and word study homework.  I am truly grateful for her kindness, generosity of her time/efforts and mostly her unconditional nature of giving to others.  I value, cherish and adore all your help!  I look forward to our weekly meetings as it’s an opportunity to spend some quality time with you and hear about all your new learnings in Grade 7 with Mr. McCann (he’s fortunate to have you in his class).  From my heart to yours … THANK YOU!!!
Marvelous Makayla - Thank you for all that you do!  Thank you for being YOU!

The 4 Parts to a Recount:
In Language, we have been going deeper into our thinking when we write a personal Recount.

The Learning Goal for a Recount is:  We will learn, write, and remember the 4 parts of a recount. (Thank you Grace for helping our class develop this learning goal).

Success Criteria:
_ I will include a title for my recount.
_ I will explain the orientation (when, who, where, why?).
_ I will have a logical sequence of events (what happened? First, then, next, finally).
_ I will evaluate and provide a personal comment (how do the events make the writer feel?).
Using this Learning Goal and Success Criteria, students will complete a Recount and they will share their writing with a peer and provide each other feedback.  I am looking forward to reading and celebrating their growing writing skills!
The Main Idea:
In Science, we have been reading non-fiction text to find the main idea and providing supporting details (evidence).  Most recently we read a text titled - "Helping Animals Cross the Road."  Please ask your child about this engaging and informative reading.  As a class we talked about what the ‘Main Idea’ really means and here are some of the students' responses.  Jax said, “The main idea is what the author talks most about.”  Julia – “It’s the author’s BIG message.”  I then chimed in and said, “It’s what the author wants us to learn.”  After this, various students then remembered that when we state a main idea we must always provide ‘evidence’ to support our thinking!  RIGHT ON!  As we read, it is important to think about what the author’s purpose is and who it is intended for.  As you read with your child at home, please ensure that you ask your child about what they think the author’s message is and why.  Thank you for your support in this reading is thinking endeavour!

Xavier's Notes - Thank you for sharing!  Well done :)
Developing 'Success Criteria' for Patterning & Algebra:
As stated in a previous post and to many parents at the Student-Led Conference, in class, I have my students co-create a ‘Success Critera’ to improve their achievement.  For example, at the end of a unit in math, we brainstorm all the important ideas from that unit and break it down into steps with examples which they may then use when they write their assessment.  I am not looking for memorization of facts/concepts, I am encouraging for my students to use strategies to help their thinking, a Success Criteria is a strategy/tool to aid a learner's thinking.  Here is an example of Josie’s Success Criteria for Patterning (Josie and I had a moment together upon her completion of her work and she shared this, she said, “Miss Gill, I am very proud of my criteria, I worked hard on it.”  So am I!  Well done!)  This coming week, I will have my students use their Success Criteria (checklist) to demonstrate their understanding of our Patterning Unit.  Good luck boys and girls!

Josie's Success Criteria for Patterning & Algebra - a level 4 effort indeed!
New!  Check this out!  Website of the Week (WOTW):
Each week, I will do my best to provide a website/or video for you and your child to check out together that reinforces concepts taught at school.  Curriculum Link:  Science – Habitats and Communities.
Click on the link below for a fun and interactive website that engages students in helping our forests and endangered species of our planet!  Enjoy :)

Quote of the Week (QOTW):
“Be kind whenever possible.  It is always possible.”  -- Dalai Lama

Namaste,
Miss P. Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment