Sunday 15 December 2013

“No snowflake ever falls in the wrong place.” --  Zen
Dec. 20th - Jan. 5th Happy Holidays from my family to yours!  Thank you Mrs. Roth for the adorable tree!
Dear Families,
I hope you’ve enjoyed this wintery, snowy weekend with your dear child.  What special activities did you do?  I spent much of today (Sunday) getting cool, crisp fresh air by shoveling my driveway and going for walks in my snow covered neighbourhood.  It was great!  I love Sundays, a time to relax and reflect upon the upcoming week with my amazing students.  I always look forward to Mondays as I see their rosy cheeks, bright smiles J and eager hearts/minds to learn, Learn, LEARN!  It’s our last week before the winter holidays, can you believe it?!  WOW!
Health:
Our Learning Goal for health focuses on "Healthy Eating."  A well-balanced diet with the right amount of daily exercise helps energize our minds and bodies to help us think and learn.  To reinforce learned concepts from school, your child will be bringing home their health duo-tang (yellow) Monday evening and is asked to complete the following charts, please see below (due on Wednesday).  Thank you for your support in this task.  We are becoming more and more informed about making healthy choices with what we eat and how it contributes to our health and well-being.

Health Chart #1

Health Chart #2
Speeches:
Last week, your child brought home a duo-tang with his/her speech package in it.  I do hope this will serve as a useful tool in organizing his/her thoughts on a topic of choice.  I encouraged my students to select a topic that interests them and/or they are passionate about.  Some students have already gotten a wonderful start on their speeches and are eagerly writing down their thinking, well done!  Daniel is writing about his passion which is dance!  Erin’s speech is on animals!  Ryan enthusiastically shared his topic with me which is all about braces!  I am really looking forward to my students’ speeches J  Please see a link below of a video that I shared with my class about a young boy named Dalton Sherman who delivered a speech to 20,000 school staff.  My goal for showing this video was to help inspire my learners to share their passion with an open heart and mind.  Dalton Sherman has had a deep impact on me not only as an educator, but as a human being.  Each day, I strive to believe in my colleagues, students, their families and ... myself ...  Thank you Dalton for your powerful words and message, I will carry this with me always!!!

This summer I visited India and spent some time in a pre-school helping children.  A moving experience!
Artist Visit:
We are excited to invite Mr. Sean Dawson into our learning community this Thursday!  We are really looking forward to having him join us for a morning filled with artistic fun!  I had the pleasure of having Mr. Dawson visit my Gr. 5/6 classroom last year, my students thoroughly enjoyed his talents and passion for art.  I could not pass up the opportunity to have my Gr. 4's to have this experience too.  I will ensure that I take photos of your child so you can see their creation J 
“It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.”  -- Pablo Picasso
Website of the Week: 
A ministry initiative website where students log in to view tutorials related to specific math related curriculum.  Students are connected with a certified teacher from 5-9pm every night to assist with homework questions. Excellent at home resources!
Quote:
“First we have to believe, and then we believe.”  -- G.C. Lichtenberg
Namaste,
Miss Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment