Sunday 12 January 2014

“If you can imagine it, you can achieve it …”
Dear Families,
Wowie!  We certainly have been experiencing quite the weather and climate change, haven’t we?!  Last Sunday, I was sooo excited to finally get back to school and see your child’s bright eyes and smiles only to get up to a snow day on Monday.  Mrs. Czerny (LTO Gr. 4/5 teacher at our school) and I car pool together and we set off in the morning to get to school, but unfortunately, we got stuck in my subdivision as the ploughs hadn’t come by yet.  We didn’t make it in :(  Then on Tuesday, I get up again and receive a phone call from a colleague saying the schools are closed.  I was in disbelief!  Another day of rest and relaxation, but let me tell you I was anxious to get back!  I was relieved when Wednesday rolled in and we had a school day, yay!  I'm delighted to be back and write you all this update to keep you posted on all our exciting learning and adventures in our classroom! 
“Empathy” Recipients:

Empathetic Alexandra, Jakob, and William

Congratulations to Jakob, William and Alexandra for being recognized for displaying Empathy – “We think about the feelings of others” in your thoughts, words, and actions.  You all have worked diligently hard to demonstrate this trait and I am so very proud of your efforts!  Continue to be your best selves in all that you do. 
This month’s character trait is HONESTY – “We will always tell the truth.”  I have encouraged my students to always tell me the truth if they're experiencing a difficulty. Being dishonest only makes a problem / concern escalate and get bigger.  I look forward to reinforcing honesty is the best policy throughout this month through books, media presentations, and student action!  I am delighted to say, our class is filled with trustworthy students, how blessed we all are :)
Speeches:
For the next two weeks, your child will have the opportunity to share his/her speech in class.  I am really looking forward to hearing them all. Thank you to all the families who have guided, mentored and helped your child with this assignment! 
May Black:
Last Thursday, I invited my former student May Black to come into our learning community to help inspire the students with their speeches.  Last year, May wrote and delivered her speech on “Being Tall,” it was sensational.  She was selected by her peers to move on to the gym!  Many students in this year’s class remembered May’s speech, she definitely left a remarkable impression J  I would like to take this opportunity to thank you May for taking the time, energy, love and passion to help your younger peers.  Your dedication, commitment, and hard work are deeply valued and cherished.  You set a positive example, and I know many of my students look up to you and enjoyed having you in our class.  Thank you from our hearts to yours!  I respect and think of you often, it was an honour to be your Grade 5 teacher. 
Here are a few pictures from May’s visit:

Magnificant May ready to share :)

Check out May's homemade prop for her speech :)


Listening Attentively to May's speech

From OUR HEARTS to yours - Thank you May!!!
  
Library & Gym:
This is just a reminder that we have Library on Day 3’s and Gym on Day 3/4.  Please ensure that library books are returned on time, if your child requires extra time, please let me know and we can extend their books.  Also, if students would like to bring gym attire (shorts and a t-shirt) to school, I encourage this as we do rigorous physical activities and wearing the proper footwear/clothing is beneficial.  The students are thoroughly enjoying our Cooperative Games Unit, all participate with full enthusiasm, effort, and care.  It is a pleasure teaching gym to my students as sports / coaching are another passion of mine!  Keep fit!  Have FUN!
Website of the Week:
In Social Studies, we have been focusing on Canada’s Regions, Provinces & Territories.  The students are working towards learning the parts of Canada, and our Great Lakes.  I taught them a quick and easy way to remember the Great Lakes. 
Think of “HOMES” the acronym J
H – Huron
O – Ontario
M – Michigan
E – Erie
S – Superior
I learned this from my Grade 4 teacher Mrs. Boucher at Connaught Public School :) She is such a compassionate, loving, and amazing educator.  She continues to inspire me everyday in my teaching and life.  
Also, please check out these sites below about mapping – Enjoy!
“Do little things with great love.”  Mother Teresa
Namaste,
Miss Gill
  

No comments:

Post a Comment